Dinghy Instructor Training
Whether you are old or young, being an instructor can be worthwhile and fulfilling; and there's a wide variety of opportunities from working part-time at a local club to full-time employment overseas.
There are centres opening up all over the world who are always looking for instructors.
To become an instructor you must be a competent experienced sailor capable of sailing a training boat at 5 to 15 knots in a force 2 to force 4 wind and capable of handling small powerboats.
To transfer those skills to an instructional role we look at the following aspects:
- Barriers to learning
- Learning Styles
- Briefing and Debriefing
Dinghy Training Course and Pre-Assessment
Day One - Dinghy training.
Day Two (optional) - Pre-Assessment. Although this is optional, all candidates for Dinghy Instructor must pass this practical sailing test prior to attending the Dinghy Instructor course. Skills and weather conditions required are as stated in the RYA Handbook G14.
1 Day £200
Dinghy Instructor Course - 5 days
A five-day training course and assessment for the Dinghy Instructor qualification. This course will train experienced dinghy sailors to teach within the National Sailing Scheme.
|Day 1||Introduction to the course and teaching double handers beginners||09.00 - 17.00|
|Day 2||Continue teaching beginners and introduction to Seamanship||09.00 - 17.00|
|Day 3||Teaching beginner Single Handers||09.00 - 17.00|
|Day 4||Teaching Advanced Modules||09.00 - 17.00|
|Day 5||Moderation day||09.00 - 15.00|
- You must be at least 16 years of age
- You must have passed the Dinghy Pre-Assessment test (information in the coaching log book G14)
- You must have a first aid qualification. Not all first aid qualifications are suitable so please check the RYA website
- You must have completed the online RYA Safe and Fun Safeguarding Course
- G14 National Dinghy Coaching Handbook. (Must Have)
- RYA Optimist Coaching Handbook (Recommended)
- RYA Beginner Hand Book (Recommended)
- RYA Advanced Handbook (Must Have)
- RYA Wet Notes (Recommended)
- National Sailing Logbook (Must Have)
Useful Online pages
For more information, contact TS Training.
NB. Please remember all instructor courses need to be run at a suitable RYA recognised teaching establishment. If you do not have access to one, we can organise a suitable venue.
It is recommended that all candidates are members of the RYA and have copies of the RYA G14 Coaches Hand Book and G4 National Dinghy Scheme.
Expenses have not been included.