RYA Professional Tender Operators Course (PTOC)
2 Days including a night exercise (Recommended to do between October-March)
The aim of the course is to look at the potential difficulties and dangers of transporting passengers on high speed craft eithercrew or guests in a super yacht or in high speed craft charter operation.
|Pre-course experience||RYA Powerboat 2|
|Assumed knowledge||RYA Powerboat 2 and Navigation up to Yachtmaster Standard|
|Minimum duration||2 days, approximately 0900 to 2100 first day, 0900 to 1730 second day|
|Course content||Preparation and boat handling focusing on passenger safety and comfort, daytime pilotage, night time pilotage, emergency situations, associated theory|
|Ability after the course||Confident undertaking of short ship to shore transfers by day and night|
Why do the Course?
This course is designed to build on a candidate's basic knowledge and experience of powerboating gained in their Powerboat Level two course with the look at the dangers of driving paying customers in a planing boat environment. Primarily for those working in the Super-Yacht Industry to safely transfer guests and crew between the mother ship and shore by day and night.
- Boat Handling
- Develop the skills required to undertake long distance passages by day and night in familiar and unfamiliar waters
- Special attention is paid to planing-speed navigation at night
- All weather handling
- Guest seating arrangements
- Learning from past accidents
- Legal responsibility
What will I learn?
- Use of a plotting instrument knowledge of plotting a course
- True and magnetic bearings
- Bearing and distance
- Chart symbols
- Tidal diamonds and tidal streams
- Use of pilot books
- Work out tidal heights for standard ports
- Interpret Lateral, Cardinal Buoyage & Special Buoyage Systems (IALA)
- Implement IRPCS concentrating on rules, 5,7,8,9,13-17,23
To gain your RYA Professional Tender Operators' Certificate.
Many customers then progress to obtain Advanced Powerboat certification which, when commercially endorsed, can be used for commercial use; for instance:
- Private customers
- Industry e.g. oil, wind farm or seismic support vessels etc.
|Number of persons||1 person||2 persons||3 persons|
|Cost per person||£390||£325||£234|